Print
La Bresse Gauloise (Read 30562 times)
Winniedog
Sinbinner

I Love Chickens!

Ballymoney, Co. Antrim
La Bresse Gauloise
Aug 27th, 2009 at 2:03pm

Does anyone have any experience with this breed?  I cant find much on the internet.
I suppose it should be only called La Gauloise in the UK due to control of origin etc.
I have the possiblity of a trio next spring Smiley
I would be interested in any thoughts about this breed: egg numbers etc, and carcass weight, finishing times etc....

many thanks,
Tony

IP Logged

Astevens4
Admin
Sinbinner

KFC - Keep Freerange Chickens!!

Swindon, Wiltshire
Re: La Bresse Gauloise
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 2:53pm

i know very little about them but would definately be interested in buying some hatching eggs off you if you do get some!!

Tony

I have given up listing what ive got as it increases every week - suffice to say poultry, lots of!!

IP Logged

Iwannabemargo
Sinbinner

Still devious.............

Sunny Cornwall
Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 4:02pm

oooh me too, there is a great deal of info on the official site.  The breed is actually a Gauloise and comes ( I think) in three colours.  I have some info saved on the pc at home and will look it out.  A lot of the taste of the birds is down to the strict diet and long finishing process.

'Margo

I would chart my weight loss but I hate dissapointment !

IP Logged

Winniedog
Sinbinner

I Love Chickens!

Ballymoney, Co. Antrim
Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 8:40am

Hi,
Thanks....found the official website.
Will let you know in due course if and when they come....am negatiating at the moment Wink....hopefully eggs should be not a problem if anyone is interested.

Tony

IP Logged

malocon

n.lincs
Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 1:00pm

I'd be interested in eggs too! I've never found anyone that has them. I believe there were some brought into GB many years ago, but that the French have stopped all exports of live birds and eggs.

IP Logged

Iwannabemargo
Sinbinner

Sunny Cornwall
Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 7:54am

have you found this site ? Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Winniedog
Sinbinner

I Love Chickens!

Ballymoney, Co. Antrim
Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 9:35am

Well....the Gauloise have arrived... Smiley
Will take some photos when they are a bit cleaner after being boxed for a day.
The first thing I really noticed was how they were really solid and chunky for such young birds: the second thing was that they are not like the show birds as seen on the 'feather site', they are true utlility lines introduced by the charming Mr Uli Koch (in Donegal, Ireland) direct from a Normandy hatchery and a German University Utliity flock.   The legs are very dark, almost blue-black.
photos to come..... Cool (if it stops raining......)

IP Logged

Iwannabemargo
Sinbinner

Sunny Cornwall
Reply #7 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 10:48am

can't wait  Wink

just looked at the standard Quote:
COQ

Corps. -Bien proportionné, allongé.

Cou. -Court ; camail amplement garni de plumes longues et fines.

Dos. -Large, légèrement incliné vers l'arrière.

Poitrine. -Large, pleine.

Abdomen. -Bien développé.

Ailes. -Bien serrées au corps.

Queue. -Fournie, faucilles bien développées. Doit former un angle aigu avec la ligne du dos.

Tête. -Assez courte, fine, sans huppe, barbe ou favoris.

Crête. -Simple, droite, de hauteur moyenne, légèrement implantée sur le bec;

Crétillons triangulaires; le lobe bien dégagé épouse la ligne du cou; très fine texture; rouge.

Barbillons. -De taille moyenne, rouges, lisses, fins.

Oreillons. -En forme d'amandes. Couleur blanche.

Face. -Rouge.

Yeux. -Grands, expressifs, iris le plus foncé possible. L'œil à iris brun, dit oeil de vesce, représente le type recherché pour toutes les variétés.

Bec. -Moyen, assez fort.

Cuisses. -Bien proportionnées.

Tarses. -Fins, de longueur moyenne, lisses, écailles peu apparentes.

Couleur bleu acier .

Plumage. -Bien collé au corps.

POULE

La crête, de grandeur moyenne, est droite jusqu'au premier crétillons et se rabat ensuite sur l'un des côtés; très fine de texture, lisse. Oreillons arrondis. La queue, relevée sans excès, légèrement étagée, forme un angle aigu avec la ligne du dos

and it says that the legs should be "steel blue", so slate would be good.  I think the gist is that its the french national bird as its is red, white and blue ; red comb, white feathers and blue feet.

'Margo

IP Logged

Winniedog
Sinbinner

I Love Chickens!

Ballymoney, Co. Antrim
Reply #8 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 9:22pm

Thanks 'margo.
Looking this afternoon, there is quite a lot of variation. 
Some of the hens are pinky blue/grey (slate like) , one of the roosters two is really quite steel-blue.
But utility is utility, not show, so I am happy!
T

IP Logged

Outdoorchick
Sinbinner

LOVE the forum!

Surrey
Reply #9 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 9:21pm

Ooooohh we'd definitely be interested in some hatching eggs! OH has been looking for these on and off for a while, so he'd be delighted!

Two dogs, two cats, not quite enough chickens, one husband, and a beautiful Babygirl!

IP Logged

Iwannabemargo
Sinbinner

Sunny Cornwall
Reply #10 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 10:24am

Just out of curiosity, will you be raising the French styleee ?  It is a very long and involved finishing process which interestingly, all though they are a free range bird, flies in the face of the free-range ethics ?

I do wonder if they will taste as nice if they are raised without finishing ?  ( And having had them in France, boy do they taste nice)

Intersting ddebate methinks  Huh

'Margo

IP Logged

Winniedog
Sinbinner

I Love Chickens!

Ballymoney, Co. Antrim
Reply #11 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 11:28am

The chap I got them from raise them entirely on a free-range system (well very large grass pens) for their whole lives, and was more than happy with the results.   The virtues of the breed as far as he was concerned were two fold.   Very fast finishing (for an outside bird) at 16 weeks (optimum) and very early to lay with large eggs, again as early as 16 plus weeks, with egg numbers very good.  He keeps only these, as a true dual purpose flock, with emphasis as much on the eggs as the meat.

They needed extra-food (corn mix) add-lib. They seem to eat a lot even now, but they are young and growing.   They can eat my Ixys under the table. They would rather have premium pellets to corn mix at the moment.  I expect this is a habit, due to the time of year  they had only been outside for a very short time.

I am not a 100% sure of exactly what the Frenchee style is , except it does include a lot of maize (and milk?)... Roll Eyes will investigate.....  But considering the success I had this year with finishing my Ixy's with slight confinement and add-lib maize/tit-bits for the last 6 weeks I will probably be initially trialing these againt the Ixys the same way....just to see Smiley

IP Logged

Iwannabemargo
Sinbinner

Sunny Cornwall
Reply #12 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 12:14pm

from an article in a French Paper found Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Quote:
This poultry white plumage and blue feet high is raised free range with at least 10 square meters per capita.  The chicks are fed cereal products and milk from Day 35. It supplements its food on a grassy range.   
The finishing is done in a wooden cage called  épinette. It takes 8 to 15 days for pullets, at least one month for cockerels and capons.  In the cage, the bird absorbs a mash consisting of corn wheat and milk to obtain a tender and juicy flesh. Bresse pullets are slaughtered at about 120 days, a cockerel at 150 days, a capon more than 180 days.  The latter has been neutered at ten weeks and this operation provides the fine curves of the opposite sex with a soft and marbled flesh.
It is recommended not to cook a chicken from Bresse as an ordinary roast chicken. The flesh loses its tenderness.  For the chicken retains its best qualities, we must "cook itself, harmless (google translation think they mean on its own and covered). Sold in good butcher shops and some chain Monoprix, Bresse chicken is expensive, 10 euros per kilo for a chicken to more than 20 euros for the capon.  Do not forget to empty it if you buy elsewhere than at the butcher.

I understand from othe sites that the épinettes are kept in the semi dark as well to condition the flesh.

'margo

IP Logged

Eris
Sinbinner

Reply #13 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 12:19pm

The final finishing stage of the Bresse is in wooden coops for around 8-15 days...

Oddly the producers happily skip over the exact details of the fattening process. However the wooden coops makes me very suspicious that the birds may be being crammed.

The fattening crate method was what was used in the UK for very many years as the best way to house birds for cramming.  and the feed of milk and white corn would be enough to make the food mushy enough for cramming.

I may be wrong but in a country that is happy to cram ducks and geese I could well imagine would be happy to still cram poultry.

Oh and Capons??? That is illegal in the EU I though? Unless done by a  vet  under the same rules that prevent dubbing over 72 days. And then only under anesthetic. That would get  very expensive.  Huh   Of course poultry producers in the UK used to caponise without anesthetic until it became illegal.

Personally I'd like someone to do some undercover filming in a salle finition for the Bresse.   
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2009 at 12:29pm by Eris »  

When I win the lottery I will hire a chauffeur to drive me around, a maid to do the ironing, and a hitman to keep my enemies nervous.

IP Logged

Iwannabemargo
Sinbinner

Sunny Cornwall
Reply #14 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 9:38am

I did wonder too Eris

I did find a good site a while back that had a lot of written blurb but can't find it now - interesting I found what seems to be a collective for the producers site which is all animation and fluffy bunnies and skips over that bit deftly.

I will dig more

Still the breed should taste good no matter how they are raised.  Interesting about the advise to cook gently to avoid affecting the succlence of the meat.

'Margo

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Print