Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Hubbards and feeding (Read 930 times)
jellykelly

I love Practical Poultry!

Folkestone
Hubbards and feeding
Aug 21st, 2010 at 6:03pm

I've got some hubbards in the incy. Only two are due to hatch next friday-ish with and another 12 due beginning of september. This is my first time hatching table birds and I need a bit of advice as to what to feed and for how long.

Is it..... chick crumbs for only two weeks and then onto growers?
Also, when raising birds for the table can you use medicated crumb and pellets or is this a no no?

Thanks in advance

IP Logged

Rockchick
Sinbinner

Nr Doncaster
Re: Hubbards and feeding
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 8:40am

I used medicated feed and I've been worming every 4 weeks.  I've only grown Ross/Cobbs so I don't know about when you should move Hubbards on from chick crumb to growers but I normally move them on to growers when they are getting big and flabby on the chick crumb.   I then move them on to layers at 5 weeks to stop them going off their legs and *touch wood* I've not had that problem yet.    I think they were 8 weeks when we moved them on to finishers pellets - a bit more expensive but worth doing as it seems to enhance the flavour of the meat. 

For the best flavour meat give them as much weeds and greens as you can - it really makes a difference.

IP Logged

jellykelly

Folkestone
Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 8:50am

Thankyou very much for the advice. I've seen the finishing pellets but never paid much attention as to when or what to use them for.
I'm very much looking forward to seeing how the table birds taste. I certainly don't intend on going back to shop brought chicken so it will be a case of finding the breed with the best taste.

I looked into Ross/cobbs before purchasing the hubbards eggs but couldn't find any. May I ask where you source yours from please?

IP Logged

Rockchick
Sinbinner

Nr Doncaster
Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 3:36pm

I got mine from Cyril Bason Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register  Its worth getting together with other people if you put in a Cyril Bason order because the delivery charge is horrendous if you only need a few chicks but we put in a bulk order for ours and other people at the allotments and divide the delivery charge up per chick so the more people who buy the less the delivery charge works out per person.  If you see what I mean.

I can really recommend their bronze turkeys - real woppers and a joy to raise.

IP Logged

jellykelly

Folkestone
Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 5:56pm

Thankyou for the link. I'll look into that and see if I can rope some others into an order.
I'd love to try and raise a couple of tukeys - but i haven't looked too far into it. Every time I mention the subject, hubby screws his nose up. I think he's put off by the look of the boys Grin

IP Logged

Rockchick
Sinbinner

Nr Doncaster
Reply #5 - Aug 23rd, 2010 at 5:43am

I've only had the one experience of keeping turkeys and they were very friendly - really loved eating treats from my hand.  The boys were enormous but soft and gentle at the same time.  They got so big so fast that we started killing them at 17 weeks.

IP Logged

jellykelly

Folkestone
Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2010 at 9:47am

Ooo - If they get that big, that quick, they are certainly worth considering. Maybe I won't talk it through with hubby and just bung some in the incubator. He can't argue once they're here!

IP Logged

Rockchick
Sinbinner

Nr Doncaster
Reply #7 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 5:28am

I don't know if they sell eggs - I got Cyril Bason's turkeys as day old poults.

IP Logged

Andy71

Faverolles, Sussex and
a bit of Brahma too

North Yorkshire
Reply #8 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 2:26pm

We keep hubbards for the table and have now crossed them with sussex, faverolles and brahma - all excellent. They've been on chick crumbs to 35 days, then growers after that. No problem with any. Our current cockerell is 6 months old and 13lb (live), with the biggest hen 9lb. We  have 12 left (which will see us through to the spring). They're very hardy. We had our June ones outside at 2.5 weeks without a problem (18 birds then). Lots of greens is good and leave the layer of fat that develops inside inside - extra tasty then! We eat the small ones first as they never seem to get going (max 6lb) whereas the bigger ones just keep going!

Enjoy!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print