Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Print
What age do welsummers normaly start to lay. (Read 5439 times)
phoenix68
Sinbinner

I love Practical Poultry!

Canterbury
What age do welsummers normaly start to lay.
Jan 24th, 2012 at 8:26pm

Hi,at what age do welsummers generally start laying.I hatched 3 separate batches last year and none have started laying yet.The youngest batch are 5 months old now so the oldest are well over 6 nearer to 7 months.
I'm used to orpintons taking 8 months,but thought these welsummers would have started by now.

Graham. Smiley

IP Logged

Rustybubbles
Sinbinner

Cumbria
Re: What age do welsummers normaly start to lay.
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 9:07am

I'm interested in any answers you may get Graham as I've got a couple who are 20 weeks old now and was wondering the same thing, sorry I don't have an answer for you. I've got a Welsummer cockerel of the same age too.

I do have a 30 week old Speckled Sussex though that still isn't laying and feeling around there's still only just room for two skinny fingers between the pin bones, (is pin bones the correct word)

Good luck and please keep us up to date with progress of your Welsummergirls.

IP Logged

Miss
Sinbinner

But I only want 3 little
hens..........

lancashire
Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 9:26am

I have numerous hatches from way back that still haven't laid!  They range (pardon the pun) between 25  and 42 weeks old.  One of them is a welsummer.
The only ones that have got going are the brown leghorns and the aras.

I live in hope.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Miss  
IP Logged

phoenix68
Sinbinner

Canterbury
Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 7:46pm

Hi,still no welsummer eggs,but I have got a green egg from one of  Misses welsummer/legbar crosses today,that I hatched on the 12th of august.

Graham. Smiley

IP Logged

Miss
Sinbinner

But I only want 3 little
hens..........

lancashire
Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 8:12pm

phoenix68 wrote on Jan 25th, 2012 at 7:46pm:
Hi,still no welsummer eggs,but I have got a green egg from one of  Misses welsummer/legbar crosses today,that I hatched on the 12th of august.

Graham. Smiley

woo hoo!!!  the glorious 12th!!
nice colour?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Miss  
IP Logged

jellykelly

Folkestone
Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 7:09am

I brought a 9 week old welsummer before the kids summer holidays (too early to do the maths) but she's not laying yet either - or if she is, it's supermarket coloured eggs.

IP Logged

phoenix68
Sinbinner

Canterbury
Reply #6 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 8:43pm

Hi,Miss yes its a proper olive green exactly like an olive in colour,hopfuly the others will start soon Smiley
Hi,Kelly Im begining to loose faith in my welsummers I have one I'm pretty certain lays a super market colured egg,that hatched on the 24th of may.

Graham. Smiley

IP Logged

pikestew
Sinbinner

South Oxfordshire
Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 1:29pm

I got 2 day-old welsumers early june last year and 1 has just started to lay - so roughtly 34 weeks old.

IP Logged

legbarlass

Derbyshire
Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 8:36pm

I had 3 Welsummers  from chicks - hatched from eggs from different sources - one who went on to be the best layer started at 22 weeks the other 2 at 26 and 30 weeks. They were all supermarket brown colour egg layers. The 2 who took longer to mature, were larger birds and  laid larger eggs.  They are lovely, friendly  birds and the eggs are well worth the wait.  The days are getting longer so hopefully they will start soon!

IP Logged

Buzby

East Sussex
Reply #9 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 5:25am

I would expect welsummers to start laying around 24 - 28 weeks - providing it's not cold and dark by the time they reach that age.
I find it has a lot to do with when they hatched. If they've not reached laying age before the nights start to draw in, then they probably won't until the days start getting longer.

I would expect a good laying strain to be producing 200 - 250 eggs in their first season.   Often the strains that lay the darkest eggs lay less than those that are a little lighter in colour.  It depends whether colour or quantity is more important to you.

Also bear in mind that how welsummers are kept can really effect their laying ability.  They are active, intelligent birds that do best with space to roam and forage, if they don't get enough space to do this, they quickly become overweight and this effects their laying.  They're also prone to boredom and feather pecking if kept confined.

HTH  Smiley

WWW https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=822312355&  
IP Logged

Supertractorman

I love tractors, ducks,
hens & doves

Perthshire
Reply #10 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 10:02am

Graham,

My welsummers are 23 weeks now and no eggs yet, but they are looking really good.
Only problem is they prefer to roost in the nest boxes, so every night its a chucking out job !!

David

IP Logged

phoenix68
Sinbinner

Canterbury
Reply #11 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 11:56am

Hi,thanks for the replys,I think I may of actualy had an egg from one today,its a nice mid brown egg I have taken a photo but unfortunatly its looks lighter in the photo.There is also one Miss's green eggs I got from her welsummer crosses.
David since the post on sleeping in the nest box I have made some blockers up and put these in place at night,in my laying shed,but I dought I have as many nest boxes as you I will put a photo on that post.

Graham. Smiley

IP Logged

legbarlass

Derbyshire
Reply #12 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 2:13pm

Regarding sleeping in the nest boxes - I block mine off with a piece of plywood, otherwise my light sussex are in there. Some people hang a curtain/sacking up at night to keep them out.
In an eglu I had, I used to put an old football in the nestbox part.

IP Logged

phoenix68
Sinbinner

Canterbury
Reply #13 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 5:31pm

Hi,yes definatly started laying now,Ive got two eggs today.

Graham.

IP Logged

Rustybubbles
Sinbinner

Cumbria
Reply #14 - Jan 31st, 2012 at 4:04pm

phoenix68 wrote on Jan 30th, 2012 at 5:31pm:
Hi,yes definatly started laying now,Ive got two eggs today.

Graham.

I've just recalulated the age of mine, they will be 23 weeks this coming w/end. So maybe another month then for mine allowing for the fact it's generaly a lot colder up here than in Kent.

Now thinking I should put a squid up my Speckled Sussex's jacksie. Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Print