Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Moving chicks from incubator to brooder? (Read 2673 times)
Fuchsia
Sinbinner

Hampshire, UK
Moving chicks from incubator to brooder?
Feb 8th, 2012 at 8:57pm

I wondered what people do when the first chicks in the incubator are newly hatched, with more chicks to come, and eggs and eggshells lying around for them to bumble around, fall over, and even get stuck into!
From what I've read, you're supposed to leave them to dry off in the inci for 24 hours and then move them to a nice warm brooder, at the same temperature as the inci. I did this with my first, recent hatch of quail chicks and they were all fine. I did remove the first eggshells but this was a problem after a few chicks had hatched because they tried to get out of the inci when I lifted the lid off! (My Brinsea Mini-Advance has a sort of goldfish bowl top that you lift up, and the chicks are on a platform inside.)
Do you remove the chicks to the brooder once they've hatched? Would they dry off better and faster once out of the humid atmosphere of the inci, given that they only need the higher humidity to get out of the eggs?
Also, when one of the chicks was hatching, two of the others got a strong hold of his wings and legs and tugged him out of his shell. He was unharmed, but it did look a bit violent. Is this usual? (see video Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register ) One of the chicks was also dragging other chicks around by the legs in the inci. They haven't done this since being moved to the brooder.

IP Logged

grenhouse

I love Practical Poultry!

South Yorks
Re: Moving chicks from incubator to brooder?
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 9:04pm

I leave mine for the 24 hours and then depending upon the number of eggs left to hatch, sometimes leave them in the incy a little longer. They will dry off much quicker in the incy, and the warmth of the incy penetrates them much better i think. Also it is much better not to keep opening the incy as you lose humidity and it can result in others which are hatching drying out in the shell. It is very tempting to start removing shells as there doesn't look to be enough room in the incy when thy are all out, but I just leave them in now.
As far as the assisted hatch goes I have seen this happen a few time, nothing to worry about just eager to have a new baby brother or sister!

Congrats on the hatch!

Steve

Steve
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

chookiechook
Sinbinner

Parkside Poultry

aldershot
Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 9:05pm

Dont worry about them getting tangled up in the egg shells etc... its natural... the broody wouldnt be spring cleaning the minute they hatched.

The chicks  do much better if left in the bator to dry fully otherwise they can get chilled......   the other chicks about to hatch benefit from the humidity that the first ones create too.

Chicks are great at wrestling the newly hatched around the incy too... but dont worry I havent ever had an injury Smiley  (hope this is other peoples experience too) Smiley Smiley  they soon learn that their siblings are not good eating ..... quail will leave that particular delicacy till they are older!!!   Shocked Shocked

Breeder of Pekins and Malaysian  Serama  .... Not forgetting the 100s of Quail Smiley
parksidepoultry.co.uk
IP Logged

SusanMc

Cork, Ireland
Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 9:19pm

As Steve and CC said above.
But I was wondering if it would be better to make the incubator a bit darker, arrange a cardboard box or drape a towel over it a bit, the clip just looked very bright to me, but maybe that was for the filming? We hatched last year in an old brinsea polyhatch, it is very dark in there with just a small window on top, our chicks weren't nearly that active, but they weren't quail either!
Just a thought  Smiley

Breeding Lincolnshire Buffs, Nankins, Silver Gold & Buff Sebrights, Black East Indies, Red Junglefowl; + layers, dog, rabbits, parrots, tortoises, snakes, plus clever daughter & super OH. Whew!
IP Logged

SJP

I Love Chickens!

west bromwich
Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 10:01pm

one tip with the Brinsea Mini-Advance take the turning ring out one the auto turning has finnished I left it in the first hatch and it ment the 2 chicks that hatched early couldn't move around to easily as it stop the eggs from rolling out of the way other that that I just followed the instructions but it's supprising how much newly hatched chicks move about
as for covering it I don't think thats wise as ther's the fan to think about and it stops you watching them hatch

IP Logged

Fuchsia
Sinbinner

Hampshire, UK
Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 7:51am

Thanks for all those pointers, folks. Yes I did remove the turning ring when the inci stopped turning automatically at Day 16, and replaced it with the nonslip matting you can see in the video, which worked well, soft and grippy for the chicks' feet. For the videoing I supplemented the light with a lamp with a daylight bulb in it, otherwise they were in natural light. One of the excellent things about the Mini Advance is the very clear sight you can get of the eggs and chicks through the plastic dome, and you can rotate it gently to see all round the circumference, good for photography as well as interesting.
I also followed advice and incubated entirely dry until the end of Day 16, when I added a little water to the pots. Of the 5 unhatched eggs, 2 had signs of very early death, one was 2-3 millimetres, the other a little larger, whilst the others were clear, possibly infertile but also maybe affected by being posted, although they were beautifully wrapped. They were laid in early January, after all. They were reasonably clean, but before I set them I wiped some of the dirt off with a warm solution (45C) of Brinsea incubator disinfectant on a damp tissue. Was this a good idea, or not? Might I have had more, or fewer, hatching if I'd just put them in as they were?
I shall have another go soon, to hatch once the first lot are big enough to go outside in a heated cage in the quail house, so i'm grateful for any feedback on this time's methods. (BTW, how old should they be before they can go out into a 2ftx 3ft cage with a 60W dull emitter in an outdoor house?) Need to know this to time my next setting!

IP Logged

cathy
Sinbinner

Wyandottes, Sabelpoots,
Dutch

Essex
Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 9:02am

I cover my incy at hatching and leave it in a dark room. If the chicks were under a broody it would be dark and quiet and they would settle down and rest after the trauma of hatching. Being thrust straight into light, even just natural day light stimulates them when they don't need it, IMO. Smiley

I was skating on a frozen sea, the skates whispering fire with my speed
IP Logged

Fuchsia
Sinbinner

Hampshire, UK
Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 9:49am

cathy wrote on Feb 9th, 2012 at 9:02am:
I cover my incy at hatching and leave it in a dark room. If the chicks were under a broody it would be dark and quiet and they would settle down and rest after the trauma of hatching. Being thrust straight into light, even just natural day light stimulates them when they don't need it, IMO. Smiley

Thanks Cathy, that's a good point, I just hadn't thought of that, (and hadn't read about the effect of light anywhere else in my researches, either.) It would certainly be possible to make a black paper cone that would go over the Mini-Advance without affecting the fan ventilation at all. Two of them hatched overnight in any case, which brought to mind a recent question about the time of day that chicks often seem to prefer to hatch. Probably the best thing to do would be to make it nice and dark and then go out for the day, to remove temptation altogether! - but the chance to record some of it is still so tempting....

I know they have enough to sustain them for 24+ hours after hatch, but when they are dashing around they must be using up their resources faster than if resting more quietly.
One of the good things about this little inci is that it makes it possible to reflect on what happens and then have another go, without either being too depressed if things go wrong, or on the other hand, getting too many chicks to deal with, to make another go or two possible on a small scale.
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2012 at 9:53am by Fuchsia »  

IP Logged

sarros
Sinbinner

Be happy!

Poitou-Charentes
Reply #8 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 1:59pm

I leave mine in the incy for at least 24-36 hours so that they are totally dry.  If you move them whilst they are damp, it can chill them.  However, I do remove the egg shells periodically as have found that sometimes the shell can cover the end of another egg that is hatching and then the chick inside has two sets of shell to break though, which obviously is just too much for them.  (I learned the hard way sadly).

Think it also depends on the incy - if you have one that recovers very quickly from being opened its not too much of a bother.

HTH, sarros Smiley

Smallscale amateur breeder of show quality L/F Laced Wyandottes.  Also keep Brahmas and a CB Marans.  Living my dream of a dozen or so Brahmas in a brand new hen house!  All different colours Cheesy
WWW http://www.facebook.com/#!/sarah.a.rose.92  
IP Logged

Fuchsia
Sinbinner

Hampshire, UK
Reply #9 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 2:57pm

Fuchsia wrote on Feb 9th, 2012 at 7:51am:
They were reasonably clean, but before I set them I wiped some of the dirt off with a warm solution (45C) of Brinsea incubator disinfectant on a damp tissue. Was this a good idea, or not? Might I have had more, or fewer, hatching if I'd just put them in as they were?

Any ideas on this, anyone? Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print